February 22-23, 2021
National Symposium on Predicting Emergence of Virulent Entities by Novel Technologies (PREVENT)
What Advances In Science, Technology, And Human Behavior Will Enable Prediction And Prevention Of Future Pandemics?
Join Us For Talks, Panels And Breakout Sessions
In the last year, the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has severely disrupted the livelihoods of our planet’s human inhabitants, infecting over 85 million individuals, and causing nearly 2 million deaths. What actions should have been taken to minimize the severity of this pandemic (and others before it in the past decades such as Zika, SARS, and Ebola)? In retrospect, many actions could have played key roles: environmental monitoring for potential animal-to-human infection spillovers, the establishment of pipelines for rapid vaccine development and optimal deployment and distribution, designing data science tools to accurately forecast trajectories, fast and adaptive syndromic surveillance, and behavior tracking, designing and timing effective interventions, training susceptible individuals for measures needed to inhibit the spread of infectious agents, and others. What lessons have been learned and what gaps in our knowledge, methodologies, technologies, and policies remain?
On behalf of the NSF, we are organizing a two-day multi-disciplinary National Symposium PREVENT, bringing together experts from various domains to begin to address these and related challenges. This material is based upon work supported by NSF award # 2115126.
Registration will begin Friday, January 29th! We will continue to update as speakers are announced.
- May 7th: Missed the PREVENT Symposium? Check out the recorded video sessions here!
- Feb. 22nd: The workshop begins today! Register here to join us at 10 a.m. EST and hear from our great speakers.
- Feb. 18th: Follow along on Twitter using #preventsymp
- Feb. 16th: One week until the symposium! Be sure to check the agenda for updates and new speaker announcements.
- Feb 15th: New speakers have been announced! Click here for more details.
- Feb. 8th: Registration is open and we are accepting White Papers. Please complete your registration here and send your White Paper to email@example.com.
- Jan 27th: Registration opens Friday, January 29th! Stay tuned for more updates and announcements.